Demand for personnel with expertise in Health Education is currently on the increase. This need is due to the rising health needs of the nation. Malaria is killing children and keeping adults out of work; HIV/AIDS is keeping the entire nation on edge; cardiovascular diseases are stealing lives; diabetes is disabling people; children are getting pregnant and becoming child parents. Children women are being abused; and the youth are wasting away their future on drugs, especially alcohol. The morbidity and mortality burden of communicable and non-communicable diseases is so great that concerted efforts are required to handle the situation.
There is a need to adopt a holistic approach in tackling the health problems of the country effectively. A corps of health professionals is required to provide effective health education and promotion to all sectors of the country. It has been observed that a large number of both governmental and non-governmental organizations have been running programmes that require non-teaching health education expertise. A large number of personnel in health education and promotion activities outside the school system have a non-health education bachelor’s degree and have had to learn on the job. Such people lack the professional training as well as the academic credentials for effective job performance and career advancement. A Master of Arts (MA) in Health Education sandwich programme is being proposed in response to this felt need.
Although the department currently runs an MPhil programme in Health Education, it appears the academic nature of the programme and its residential requirement does not meet the needs of most of the expected clientele. In the light of the foregoing, the department proposed an MA sandwich programme to supplement the regular MPhil programme.
The goals of the Sandwich MA (Health Education) programme are to:
- Produce highly qualified, competent and confident health, physical education personnel outside the Ghana Education Service.
- Provide opportunity for specialization in aspects of health and physical education, such as community health education, corporate fitness management, health promotion and sports administration with special relevance to the manpower needs of Ghana.
- Provide customer friendly postgraduate programmes that are convenient for practicing professionals.
- Provide postgraduate education tailored to the specific needs of organizations that provide health, physical education and sports services.
- Provide quality postgraduate programmes with a high turnout rate.
- Generate income to expand and improve upon services provided by the department.
The programme is for 2 years and fee-paying. It is made up of an intensive residential coursework. Two sessions of intensive coursework shall be conducted during long vacations. Each session lasts for 8 calendar weeks.