This programme trains learners to be professional supervisors of physical education and recreational activities in schools. Physical education is an important aspect of the educational curriculum in schools in Ghana. It is designed to train professionals to help children develop and improve upon their physique through activities that focus on the movement of the body parts. Related activities such as healthy eating and good sleeping habits are covered in the programme. Students are therefore taught the nutritional value of various kinds of foods. They are also trained to be able to help school children stay healthy and also gain from benefits of improved brain usage that comes with increased physical activity. In addition, learners are trained in athletic skills, teamwork spirit, teaching skills, motivational and organisational skills to be able to proficiently conduct and supervise physical education and recreational activities in schools.
- The Minimum Admission Requirement into the University of Cape Coast for WASSCE applicants is aggregate 36. For SSSCE applicants, the minimum requirement is aggregate 24.
- Candidates must have passes in six (6) subjects with overall aggregate of 36/24 at the WASSCE/SSSCE level respectively.
- Three of the six subjects must be core subjects: English Language, Mathematics and Integrated Science/Core Science.
For purposes of admission, a pass in
- WASSCE means Grade: A1 – C6.
- SSSCE means Grade: A – D.
In addition to the above, candidates must
- pass a theory and practice test to be conducted by the university (test is based on the 2008 SHS syllabus for Physical Education).
- Must be at least 25 years of age at the time the application form is completed
- Must possess Teachers’ Certificate ‘A’ with a minimum of 3 years’ teaching experience.
- Must pass a selection examination in General Paper, a special paper in Health, Physical Education and Leisure and a practical test.
- A good Diploma (a minimum of Second Class Lower Division or better) obtained from the University of Cape Coast or equivalent institutions with at least two (2) years post qualification teaching/working experience.
- All candidates must pass an interview.