The University of Cape Coast invites applications from qualified and competent persons for consideration for appointment as Webmaster at the Sam Jonah Library.
Role Overview: The webmaster will be responsible for the content management system of the University’s website presence including the creation of web pages and web-based database applications, integration of approved content, file management, site maintenance, coordination of the retrieval of pertinent information from the site end-users, archiving and records management.
The Webmaster is required to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to, the following:
- Monitor and control the administration of the University’s web content management system, regulating and managing access rights of different users on website
- Establish and maintain directory trees and permitting organisation of the University’s website
- Assist with the creation of web pages and uploading of content onto the site, creating and integrating multimedia assets and database applications as necessary
- Consult with systems experts on hardware and software issues that affect the University’s Website
- Assist with the development, implementation, and enforcement of Web site appropriate use and privacy policies
- Assess competing Web sites as regard content, look and feel, and functionality, and make improvement recommendations to the University’s websites.
- Create and manage online data collection, surveys, applications and forms
- Create and manage images, graphics and materials required for use in web publications, print images, web forms and other visual representations of the brand;
- Review website statistics and monitor analytics
- Assist with training of faculty and staff in the use of the web content management system
- Maintain current knowledge of web features, applications and tools in an effort to maintain a responsive design and expand online offerings
- Work with external service providers assisting with web development to ensure that deliverables meet the University’s requirements
- Plan, develop, migrate, and deploy UCC’S website, meeting all requirements with respect to quality, schedule, accessibility, performance, and security; including developing and maintaining UCC themes, content types and views.
- Be responsible for the day-to-day maintenance, compliance, administration and continuity of a comprehensive website and directly related websites.
- Provide support to UCC websites, managing UNIX publishing directories and files; and promoting best practices in web technologies such as HTML, CSS, and PHP.
- Use formal project management practices, providing regular schedule, milestone, and implementation updates.
- Troubleshoot the website and debugs any performance issues
Qualification Required & Experience
- MPhil or MSc in Computer Science, Information Technology, Management Information System or any relevant Degree of equivalent level
- Special emphasis on Internet and Web-related knowledge is a plus
- 5+ years Web developer/programming experience
- Demonstrate Strong Database skills: SQL, MySQL, Oracle or other RDBMS
- Experience using content management systems (CMS)
- Experience with the UNIX operating system
- Experience with web hosting services
- Experience optimizing graphics for use on the internet
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop plus graphics software such as Corel Draw
- Must be an effective team player with the confidence and ability to solve problems
- Must possess effective written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- Other desirable attributes include working knowledge of Flash, multimedia technologies, graphic design and social media marketing.
Abilities and Skills
- Server Management: Understanding of web hosting, server configuration, and domain management to ensure the website's availability and performance.
- Database Management: Knowledge of database systems (e.g., MySQL, PostgreSQL) for managing dynamic content, user data, and integrating databases with the website.
- Security: Expertise in web security practices, including SSL certificates, firewall configurations, and vulnerability assessment to protect the website from cyber threats.
- Communication: Excellent written and verbal communication skills for collaborating with various university departments, faculty, staff, and students.
- Project Management: Ability to manage web projects, set priorities, meet deadlines, and coordinate with team members to achieve goals.
- Attention to Detail: Meticulousness in checking for errors, broken links, and ensuring content accuracy.
- Teamwork: Collaborative mindset to work effectively with web designers, developers, content creators, and other stakeholders.
B. ASSISTANT WEBMASTER
Role Overview: The Assistant webmaster shall work closely with the Webmaster to ensure the websites are functioning correctly and are up to date for the content management system of the University’s website presence including the creation of web pages and web-based database applications, integration of approved content, file management, site maintenance, coordination of the retrieval of pertinent information from the site end-users, archiving and record management.
Major Responsibilities• Assist Webmaster in developing new pages and functionality or modification of existing pages, renewal of the University’s web hosting, creation and maintenance of the University’s portals in liaison with the ICT Department and other departments.• Facilitate end-users in directly updating information specific to their departments wherever possible in a content management system or website.• Train users in the use of various tools associated with updating content on the website and University portals• Working with departmental representatives, he or she should ensure that the website accurately reflects the University’s current events, goals, ethics and initiatives.• Preparation of monthly reports on web visitors and their profiles.• Assist Webmaster in the management of profiles for the University on social platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube• Assist Webmaster on all online-related projects for the University
Qualification Required & Experience• MSc degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Management Information Systems, or any relevant Degree of equivalent level• Special emphasis on Internet and Web related knowledge is a plus
Additional Qualifications• 1+ years Web developer/programming experience• Programming experience on web-based tools: PHP, HTML, DHTML, XHTML, XML, Macromedia Dreamweaver, CSS, MS Access• Experience using content management systems (CMS)• Experience optimizing graphics for use on the internet• Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop plus graphics software such as Corel Draw• Must be an effective team player with the confidence and ability to solve problems• Must possess effective written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills• Other desirable attributes include working knowledge of Flash, multimedia technologies, graphic design and social media marketing.
Abilities and Skills
2. Content Management Systems (CMS): Familiarity with the university's CMS (e.g., WordPress, Drupal, or a custom system) to manage and update web content.
3. Graphics Editing: Basic graphic design skills for resizing and optimizing images, creating simple graphics, and ensuring visual consistency.
4. Database Management: Basic understanding of databases and how they integrate with web applications.
5. Communication: Effective written and verbal communication skills for collaborating with team members, faculty, staff, and students.
6. Attention to Detail: Strong attention to detail to ensure content accuracy, formatting consistency, and a high-quality user experience.
7. Teamwork: Collaborative mindset to work effectively with web designers, developers, content creators, and other stakeholders.
8. Project Assistance: Ability to provide support for web projects, such as gathering requirements, coordinating tasks, and assisting with project management.
9. Documentation: Capability to create and maintain documentation related to web processes, guidelines, and procedures.
Mode of Application & Closing Date
a. Interested applicants who meet the above criteria should please submit the following listed documents:
v Formal application letter, detailing the applicant’s qualifications and motivation
v Comprehensive Curriculum Vitae
v Certified copies of academic transcripts
v Relevant supporting documents
University of Cape Coast
b. Applicants should request three (3) referees to submit a report on them directly to the above address.
c. The closing date for the receipt of applications is 15th November, 2023.