UNIVERSITY OF CAPE COAST
COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL SCIENCES
SCHOOL OF BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
AFRICAN CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE IN COASTAL RESILIENCE
Job Vacancy at the Centre for Coastal Management, University of Cape Coast, Ghana
The Centre for Coastal Management (Africa Centre of Excellence in Coastal Resilience) of the University of Cape Coast intends to apply part of its funding allocation from its Development Partners to employ:
ONE (1) ACCOUNTANT
The Accountant will work closely with the Directorate of Finance of the University of Cape Coast, through the Centre Director, and will have responsibility for the general administration of all financial and accounting matters of the Centre for Coastal Management. This include: taking custody of all accounting documents, ensuring that project advances and imprests are properly disbursed and accounted for, exercising due and proper care over the financial resources of the Centre to guard against any form of embezzlement, fraud and other irregularities.
The key responsibilities shall include:
- Assisting the project team with budget preparation for projects funding applications;
- Preparation of annual projects operational budgets as well as the monitoring of the budgets;
- Processing accurately and promptly all accounting transactions of the Centre such as operating expenses, consultancy payments and vendor payments;
- Preparing and submitting in a timely manner, all statutory payments such as taxes and social security deductions;
- Liaising with the Procurement Section of the University for all procurement activities of the Centre;
- Ensuring compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures,
- Reviewing the monthly operational results and preparing monthly and quarterly performance reports;
- Ensuring that accurate and timely financial statements are prepared in accordance with contract agreements with Funders;
- Generating and submitting quarterly, interim, ad-hoc and annual financial reports on individual projects, certified by the Director of Finance, to the Centre Director and Funders;
- Following up on project advances and timely liquidation of advances;
- Assisting in the project audit by internal auditors as well as external auditors;
- Maintaining proper records of revenue and expenditure, assets and liabilities and report quarterly and annually to the Centre Director and the Director of Finance.
Term of Office
The position is for a four-year term, and the successful person must not attain the statutory retirement age before the term expires.
An applicant must have the following qualifications:
(a) A good first degree in Accountancy or Finance from a recognized University.
(b) Be a qualified member of any of the following professional bodies:
i. Institute of Chartered Accountants (ICA, Ghana)
ii. Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
iii. Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
(c) Must have obtained three years’ post-qualification working experience
(d) Experience with donor funded programmes/projects will be an added advantage.
Mode of Application:
Interested applicants should send an application letter, two letters of recommendation, curriculum vitae and other relevant documents by post/ courier to:
Centre for Coastal Management
Africa Centre of Excellence in Coastal Resilience
University of Cape Coast
University Post Office
No phone calls, please.
Closing Date: Friday 21st August, 2020.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited for interview.