COLLEGE OF HUMANITIES AND LEGAL STUDIES
FACULTY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES
INSTITUTE FOR OIL AND GAS STUDIES
OFFICE OF THE UCC-GNPC PROFESSORIAL CHAIR
Call for Scholarship Applications:
2020/2021 Academic Year
Over the last decade, there has been increasing recognition and initiative for human capital development in the oil and gas sector in Ghana. The aim is to enhance the benefits of hydrocarbon-production in the local economy in a holistic manner. The Local Content regulations LI 2204 in Ghana emphasize the need to domesticate services and jobs at the senior and management levels in the Ghana petroleum sector. It will suffice to argue that “education and training” are fundamental to sustain and harness the opportunities in the LI 2204 (2013) regulations. As a result, the Ghana National Petroleum Corporation (GNPC) instituted the Professorial Research Chair in Petroleum Commerce at the Institute for Oil and Gas Studies, University of Cape Coast. The Professorial Chair, therefore, invites applications from qualified Ghanaian students interested in conducting postgraduate research in Petroleum and Energy Studies with emphasis on the following research areas and others:
• Oil and Gas Resource Management
• Petroleum Revenue Forecasting and Management
• Sustainable Energy and National Development
• Energy, Petroleum Economics & Finance
• Energy & Petroleum Business Strategy & Risk Finance
• Energy Law, Regulations and Policy Analysis
• Energy, the Economy and Environment
• Renewable Technology & Climate Economics
• Energy Efficiency and Conservation Policy
• Oil & Gas Industry Governance & Institutions
• Corporate Planning & Strategy
• Health, Safety, Environment & Sustainability
Number of scholarships to be awarded:
• Four (4) for MPhil
• Four (4) for PhD
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
1. Applicants must be Ghanaians who are already enrolled in postgraduate programmes (PhD or MPhil) at the Institute for Oil and Gas Studies, School of Business; School of Economics, and School of Development Studies at the University of Cape Coast. Preference will be given to those who have already completed course work.
2. Applicants must be prepared to take additional classes in Oil and Gas to supplement the course work in their respective fields
3. Applicants must be interested in conducting research in Ghana’s petroleum and energy sectors in areas specified above.
4. Applicants must submit a preliminary research proposal, which must include (but not limited to) background to the study, statement of the problem, objectives, research questions/hypothesis, theoretical or conceptual framework, methodology, and a description of the expected results.
5. MPhil applicants must have an undergraduate Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of at least 3.0, and for PhD applicants, at least a CGPA of 3.0 for both undergraduate and MPhil is required.
6. Special emphasis is placed on gender balance.
The scholarship covers tuition fees and research grants (two years of research work for PhD students and one year of research work for MPhil students).
Mode of Application:
To apply please submit your application and supporting documents (preferably in one PDF document) via email to: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Application letter
• Research proposal (maximum of five pages, excluding reference list)
• Motivation letter (maximum of two pages) stating qualifications and interest
• Curriculum Vitae
• 2 letters of academic reference
• Certificates and other relevant credentials as prescribed by the School of Graduate Studies at the University of Cape Coast https://sgs.ucc.edu.gh/sites/default/files/%20Admission%20Brochure%20for%20Regular%20Programmes%202019%3A20.pdf
The deadline for application is 30th August 2020. No application will be accepted after this date. Short-listed candidates will be informed by 15th September 2020. Shortlisted applicants will attend a selection interview on a date to be determined by the Institute for Oil and Gas Studies.
For further enquiry please contact: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org